Thursday, February 17, 2011

Secondhand

We were fortunate to receive so many baby accoutrements from friends whose own sons had outgrown their swings and Bumbos and clothes! A lot of our friends are big "pay it forward" types, and we felt grateful to be on the receiving end of their generosity.

There were several items I couldn't resist buying myself, though. I wanted X to have some new clothes that I picked especially for him. I remember being at Costco one day, and spotting the table laden with piles of Carter's baby clothes. It was impossible to resist. The tiny pants and one-piece outfits were too cute to pass up.

Now, the time has come for me to pay it forward again. I've become part of an online community where available items are posted, or needs are posted, and people just find one another and share what they have with those who need it. I know that there are lots of ways I could make money, consignment shops and yard sales, and whatnot. I just feel like my family is really very, very lucky. If I can give or send the things I no longer need to someone who does, then why not do it?

Some items, however, are too difficult to part with. I don't know if I will ever have a need for the tiny pants made out of monster-patterned fabric again, but I will hold on to them. Down the road, if the need arises, we will use them again. If not, we can always pass them along to someone who will use them.

sleepy bug

2 comments:

Shan said...

It is so hard to part with some things! You could always choose your favorites from his first year and make a blanket of them.

katy said...

I've seen that idea around, and it definitely appeals to me. I *hope* we have a chance to use these things again before they become a blanket!

Post a Comment